Your Jack-o’-lantern Carving Guide
October 22, 2020
It’s that time of year again where pumpkin spice, apple cider doughnuts, and pumpkin carving mix with crisp autumn air and vibrant foliage —some of our favorite fall traditions!
Here is your guide to carving pumpkins and creating the spookiest jack-o-lantern on the block!
- Pumpkin carving kit (or serrated kitchen knife & ice cream scooper)
- Paper and pencil or pen
- Battery-operated flameless candle
- Bleach solution **(be sure an adult handles this part)**
- Petroleum jelly (to keep pumpkin from drying out)
- Cut the pumpkin from the bottom to prevent the sides from caving in and the top from dropping inside (an adult should handle the knife or any sharp object).
- Remove all seeds and debris from inside the pumpkin using the ice cream scooper or your hands. Make sure nothing is stuck to the sides of the pumpkin.
- Soak the pumpkin in a bleach solution (mix 1 Tbsp. bleach per quart of water in large bucket) and let your pumpkin soak in it for 2 minutes. Then let the pumpkin air dry.
- Cover the inside of the pumpkin with petroleum jelly.
- Draw your design on the paper and trace it onto the pumpkin. Pinterest has great spooky design templates!
- Cut out your design. A fork or pencil will help poke holes around the lines.
- Light your jack-o-lantern with the flameless candle, set it on your front porch or desired space, and admire your work!
For information on how to register your child in one of our programs, please contact our Admissions department at 410-312-5233.